Media

Alopecia

The term 'Alopecia' is commonly used as a universal term to label hair loss, but there are actually a number of influencers, from genetics to outside factors that indicate what type of Alopecia you may have. Gemtress products have been specifically designed to help women with Alopecia and other forms of hair loss look and feel gorgeous again.

Non-Androgenetic Alopecia

Non-Androgenetic Alopecia is caused by non-genetic factors. There are three basic forms of Non-Androgenetic Alopecia.

meet kayla

  • Alopecia Areata: the most common form of Non-Androgenetic Alopecia, causes hair loss strictly on the scalp, usually in patches.
  • Alopecia Totalis: characterized by the loss of all hair on the head, including eyebrows and lashes.
  • Alopecia Universalis: causes the loss of all body hair.

Some of the most common causes of Non-Androgenetic Alopecia are medications (including birth control pills), thyroid disorders, pregnancy, anemia or arthritis. For alopecia sufferers, the body responds to these influences through an autoimmune response in which hair follicles are perceived as foreign objects. As a result, the body attempts to reject them from the system.

In addition to our full line of wigs, Gemtress has designed an extensive collection of top of the head hair replacement systems to address only those areas affected by non-androgenetic alopecias, as well as a stunning selection of pull-through hair augmentation systems to beautify areas, which may be thinning.

We're specialists in creating innovative solutions that alleviate the discomfort caused by medical hair loss. Our hair systems are individualized to fit your specific needs and we approach every woman with compassion and integrity to ensure a confident and trusting relationship.


Genetic Alopecia

Androgenetic (Genetic) Alopecia - Hormonal Hair Loss

Androgenetic Alopecia, also known as Female Pattern Hair Loss, is caused by hormonal activity or genetic predisposition and is characterized by a diffuse thinning of the hair, rather than the loss of hair in patches. The hair loss is caused by sensitivity of the hair follicles to the hormones Dihydro-Testosterone, Estrone and Estradiol, as well as the enzyme Aromatase. Androgenetic Alopecia is an ongoing condition that affects 30 million women. Initially, women will usually retain a line of hair at the forehead but see a gradual widening of the part in their hair and, eventually, an overall, diffuse thinning of the hair.

Hair grows in three phases. At any given time, 90% of our hair is in the Anagen Phase, in which it is actively growing. The other 10% of our hair is in one of two phases – the Telogen Cycle, in which it is resting, and the Catagen/Transition Phase, in which the hair follicles shrink and shed. As a result of the dynamics between these phases, most people lose 50 to 100 strands of hair a day. Since most people have about 100,000 hairs in their scalp, this typical loss is not noticeable.

When a hair follicle is lost, it is commonly replaced with an equally-sized hair. Androgenetic Alopecia will cause these replacement hairs to be finer, miniaturized versions of the original hair. Eventually, they will shrink to the point that they can no longer restore themselves and continue to grow.

Find out how our collections can help you address the many challenges of genetic alopecia. Solutions are just a click away.